June 17, 2016
November 5, 2015
In response to this story on Breitbart, especially this paragraph:
Paz’s most grievous sin, in the eyes of Tumblr, appears to have been her drawing of the character Rose Quartz. Paz’s drawing of the generously proportioned character, which can be found here, was accused of being too thin and thus “fatphobic.” Tumblr is well known for its community of vitriolic “body positivity” campaigners, who believe that fat people should be considered an oppressed minority.
our resident SkepDirt artist Read more of this post
August 22, 2013
“If we construe ‘Islamophobia’ as ‘fear of Muslims’ and not ‘hatred of Muslims,’ then the press is guilty of it far more than is Dawkins.”
At last the British press has given Richard Dawkins a break! In truth, I can’t remember the last pro-Dawkins piece they’ve published, although there are dozens taking the other side, every one a carbon copy of the others. Strident. Bigot. Racist. Superannuated. You know the tropes. While people have every right to differ with Richard’s ideas, the wolf-pack behavior of the British press is more like a feeding frenzy than a reasoned assessment of his ideas.
But in the August 24 Spectator, British journalist and author Nick Cohen analyzes this phenomenon in a piece called “Richard Dawkins attacks Muslim bigots, not just Christian ones. If only his enemies were as brave.” He not only decries the press for its herd mentality, but indicts it for cowardice: its refusal to defend liberal Muslims who stand up against their oppressive and conservative coreligionists.
How refreshing is this beginning?
View original post 788 more words
June 26, 2013 2 Comments
Copied with great respect from skep tickle at the Slymepit:
Friday June 14:
- CFI Board meets, after having been the recipient of letter-writing/email campaigns regarding Lindsay
Saturday June 15:
- Silverman appears on Brave Hero Radio, spends 30 minutes berating Vacula to denounce “all the shit”, to listen to the women (those reporting feeling harassed, any way), and that evidence is not needed
Monday June 17:
- Clint breaks the news about American Atheists Sued for Racial Discrimination, Wrongful Termination (suit filed by a black woman)
- CFI Board posts Center for Inquiry Board of Directors Statement on the CEO and the Women in Secularism 2 Conference
- Watson washes her hands of CFI in http://skepchick.org/2013/06/so-much-for-center-for-inquiry/
- Christina washes her hands of CFI in An Open Letter to the Center for Inquiry, Withdrawing My Participation and Support, including withdrawing as a speaker from the CFI Summit in October 2013
- American Atheists responds to Johnson lawsuit
Wednesday June 19:
- Skepticon Says Goodbye to a Sponsor (CFI); a bunch of FC(n) support that move (as I recall)
- Hutchinson is the first FtB blogger to mention the discrimination lawsuit against American Atheists, in Race, American Atheists and “The Movement”
Friday June 21:
- Point of Inquiry hosts, Mooney and Viskontas, resign from POI/CFI (as reported Tuesday June 25 by Watson)
Saturday June 22:
- Lindsay posts apologies for causing offense and making some people feel unwelcome in his post Some Remarks on My Talk at WIS2.
- Benson says that the Follow up post from Ron Lindsay “…might make conversation possible”.
- At some point that day, Myers posts This Silverman guy seems to be saying a lot of the right things
Sunday June 23:
- Zvan indicates acceptance of Lindsay’s apology in Apologies are Hard
- Benson puts up several more posts about Lindsay’s apology, including saying that she was too grudging in her prior post, now that she’s read Zvan’s post, and also (somewhere else) points out that she was fir-irst to accept Lindsay’s apology
Monday June 24:
- Isaak, producer of Point of Inquiry also resigns from POI/CFI (as reported Tues June 25 by Watson)
- Christina accepts Lindsay’s apology in Accepting Ron Lindsay’s Apology
- Marcotte accept’s Lindsay’s apology in Accepting Apologies And Moving On
- Zvan says she will withhold judgment on the claims against American Atheists for discrimination and wrongful termination, in Watching and Waiting
Tuesday June 25:
- Watson posts the POI trio’s press release in Point of Inquiry Team Resigns, Launches New Show with Mother Jones; several FtB bloggers do, too
- Sometime in the past week, Christina’s photo has been removed from the speaker montage at http://www.cfisummit.org/
February 1, 2013 1 Comment
In this reporter’s opinion, “blogger” should be viewed as much of a profession as “juggler” or “gum-chewer” are.
June 29, 2012
According to multiple skeptical sources, a Katie Holmes is filing divorce papers against a Tom Cruise. A sample tweet:
— Amy Davis Roth (@SurlyAmy) June 29, 2012
This reporter will be off researching the Rational Wiki page of this Tom Cruise fellow for the immediate future. He must be a high-ranking skeptic to be getting this much attention.